Monday, November 5, 2007

Moral Dilemma

So yesterday, I was on my way to meet some friends at the Mall of Asia when I made a mistake. I wanted to turn left, and there were plenty of people doing u-turns to where I was going, so I thought it was alright. Turns out, it wasn't. I didn't notice the cop signaling me not to cross until it was too late and he was in front of me, stopping me. He told me what I did wrong, and asked for my license. My mind was racing furiously, trying to decide whether I would do the right thing, admit my mistake, and accept my fate, or whether I should... do "something else". (Btw, that something else being the B-word, followed by "rib", and ending in "e".) I decided that I will accept the consequences of my mistake. I tried to explain to the cop that I didn't know I wasn't allowed to turn left there. He told me that he had been signaling me trying to stop me from crossing, but I didn't see. He then showed me the list of fines, and pointed to the P2,000 that I had to pay city hall. I nodded acceptance and gave him my license, saying that I was wrong, and I have no choice. He paused, then looked around, then handed me back my license. To my utter relief, he told me that he'll let me off with a warning. I was shocked, but my mind was racing again. My wallet was out, because I was putting my license back in. But do I give him some money as a gesture of gratitude, or do I just thank him and leave. In the end, I decided to thank him and leave. I felt a little guilty for not giving him something for letting me go, but if I did, then wouldn't I have been, in a sense, doing what I was trying not to do in the first place? Then again, by allowing him to let me go, am I similarly guilty of "getting away with it"? Hmmm...

No comments: