Friday, September 21, 2007

gO wIth thE flOw

This game is supposed to be the thesis research for the creator, but it ended up being such a big hit with gamers everywhere. I don't really understand what the thesis is about, or how the game relates to it. But I would assume that he succeeded, and prolly got an A+ for it too.

When I first happened upon this game (completely by accident), I didn't know what the heck it was. I controlled this plankton-like creature and it just swam around. When I ate something, the screen would change colour, getting darker. Or sometimes, it would get lighter. Then I realized there were two different kinds of creatures you could eat. One would make it darker, while the other would make it lighter. After more playing, I realized it was like an ocean, and when it got darker, it means I went deeper by a level, and when it went lighter, I went shallower by a level. And then I noticed as I ate some of the small things floating around, I would get longer and have more features. At that time, I thought what a quaint game it was. When I checked the time, I've been playing for 3 hours straight already. That's when I realized I was hooked. It is a great game, and very innovative. It lets you play at your own pace. For more experienced gamers, you can go hardcore and try to eat everything and evolve as far as you can. For those casual gamers or non-gamers, you can just let your creature swim around until you feel it's time to move on.

But that's not all! They released a PS3 version of this game where you use your controller to move your creature, but not in the conventional way. You tilt your controller to tell the creature where to move. For instance, if you tilt it to the left, it will go to the left. If you tilt it forward, it will go forward. And so on. I got the chance to try this at a friend's house. The best part about it is that you can play with 2 players! And it's possible to eat the other player! That was the most fun part when I played with my friends. We tried to eat each other.

The game actually has many different levels. The first one, you start off as a snake-like creature. Then after you fully evolve, you start a new level where you're one of those jellyfish-like things that you were eating. And so on. I don't know how many levels there are, since I haven't played it to the end. But it's pretty cool. So go and play it now! Or download it for later.

No comments: