Monday, September 10, 2007

Press "Start" to Begin...

It's been a long time coming, but it's finally here, thanks to some persistent people at church, United Evangelical Church of Malabon (UECM). I've tried to do blogs before, but work, church, friends and family got in the way. Oh, and also laziness. :) Anyway, here's hoping this one will work out better.

Ever since I moved back to the Philippines two-and-a-half years ago, I would say I have certainly grown and matured as a person. But lately, I realized that I had become stagnant. I've been too comfortable with my surroundings. When I first got here, everything and everyone was new to me, and it took a lot of hard work for me to get to know people (and for those of you who know me, you know that I am a very quiet, introverted person. Yeah, yeah, stop giggling). And so two years later, here I am, part of the Young Pro fellowship, and watching movies with friends almost every week. Now, I realize that I've stopped trying to meet new people, and am talking to the same old friends. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't want to limit myself. Also, I know there are still a lot of people in church around my age who are friendless and unnoticed, with no one to talk to but their parents. I used to be like that, and I don't want anyone else to have to go through that. Plus, it would reflect badly on our church. I remember when Mark (my cousin) and I visited a church in South Carolina. Even though we were the only non-African people there, everyone was so friendly to us, and kept inviting us to come back. And we obliged. That's the friendliness I'd like to convey to people in our church. But I digress. Another thing I noticed about myself, which Achi Hensie (our Young Pro Fellowship Advisor) shared with us in Bible Study last Friday, is that I tend to be satisfied wallowing in my relative spiritual mediocrity. And the big problem is that sometimes I don't notice it. (For those of you not in our Young Pro Fellowship, you can read up on Judges 13:1.) This reminds me of one of my favorite books, "Your God is Too Safe", but that's for another time. And finally, I noticed that I have become less linguistically-inclined, or in layman's terms, I'm losing my vocabulary. So I hope this blog will help me to improve myself, and those reading can be accountable to me. (Disclaimer: By having read that, you're immediately accountable to me. Sorry... j/k. :P)

No comments: